One of the habits I’ve developed over the years is to stay focused on one project at a time. This is the only way that I don’t end up with a shop full of half finished projects. With ADD like mine I can easily get distracted by new exciting project ideas. This past year I spent a lot of time making the Media Cabinet. While I was doing that I came across numerous ideas for other small projects that I really wanted to do, but I had to just make a list of them and press on with the Media Cabinet. Since finishing that project I’ve finally had a chance to knock out some of the smaller projects that I’ve wanted to tackle. This time around they seem to all be tools of some sort.
I’ve wanted to make my own marking gauge for some time. I use a Veritas cutting gauge that I am generally happy with, but sometimes it’s a little unstable because the base is only about 1 1/2″ wide. In addition, the rod is only 9″ long so I’m unable to mark further than about 7 1/2″ from an edge.
While making this marking/cutting gauge I decided to make three different length beams while I was at it so I can mark up to 24″ from an edge. For the blade I used a segment of the segmented blades that are available for many utility knives. They’re cheap and easily replaced.